Statement of Purpose
The National Association of United Methodist Evangelists seeks to bring together General Evangelists and Associate Evangelists of the United Methodist Church for fellowship and inspiration at the annual meetings of the Council/Congress on Evangelism meetings. The association provides a network of support for those in our Church who are involved in itinerant evangelism. The association seeks to interpret the work of these evangelists to the larger church so that their services may be better utilized.
- General Evangelists are ordained ministers under appointment
- Associate Evangelists in Full-time ministry are retired ministers and lay persons in full-time evangelism
- Associate Evangelists in Part-time ministry are ministers under appointment and lay persons who spend part of their time in evangelism ministries beyond their local Church.
Standards for General Evangelists
By the General Board of Discipleship of the United Methodist Church and The National Association of United Methodist Evangelists
- Persons desiring to serve as General Evangelists should have a conviction of a divine call to this ministry.
- The evangelist shall be in harmony with the teachings of the Holy Scriptures as set forth in The United Methodist Articles of Religion.
- Personal and professional qualifications for evangelistic work must be established to the satisfaction of the Conference Board of Evangelism, or Conference equivalent, and the Cabinet.
- The evangelist must be loyal to the United Methodist Church, and amenable to its rules and policies.
- Sufficient pastoral experience in the local church shall be required
- The evangelist shall declare his/her willingness to give full time to the ministry of evangelism, allowing preference to United Methodist congregations.
- The evangelist shall present annually to the Conference Board of Evangelism, or Conference equivalent, written recommendations from a District Superintendent and/or an evaluation of three local churches ministries performed in churches served.
- An additional written report shall be presented to the Conference Board of Evangelism, or Conference equivalent. The form shall be furnished by the General Board of Discipleship for the preparation of this annual report.
- Attendance at the sessions of the Annual Conference is required unless excused by the District Superintendent and Bishop.
- General Evangelists shall cooperate with the program of the Evangelism ministries of the General Board of Discipleship and of the National Association of United Methodist Evangelists, so that the evangelist may be strengthened by the fellowship and kept aware of the current trends of evangelism within the United Methodist Church.
- General Evangelists shall develop a Continuing Education Program for development in ministry in keeping with standards for Continuing Education his/her annual conference. Conference Continuing Education funds shall be available to General Evangelists.
- It is recommended to the leadership of their Annual Conferences that they use the General Evangelists, who are highly qualified as consultants in evangelism.